Chatham Avalon Park Community Council was formed in 1955, 501© 3 not for profit organization, for the purpose of addressing concerns and problems within the community. Comprised of both residents and businesses the focus is to preserve the, “Standard of the community.” Chatham is a socially diverse community that reflects white and blue collar professionals. The Chatham Avalon Park Community Council (CAPCC) is the catalyst for the residents in their efforts to maintain a community of excellence. The organization provides a forum for those who have complaints and as a group it gives them a voice to leverage power and influence in order to preserve a healthy and viable community for all.
Chatham Avalon Park Community Council has achieved significant milestones during the six decades of its existence. The organization successfully eased racial tensions as the community transitioned in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s by ensuring that hardworking African Americans had equal access to quality housing. A mental health clinic was erected and funded by community residents to address the inadequate mental care that was offered in the late 1960’s. In the early 1970’s CAPCC led the move and new construction of the Chatham Library, which is now the Whitney M Young, Jr. branch library. In an effort to limit the proliferation of liquor stores and lounges, the council implemented a “dry” ordinance. Furthermore, the organization ensured that businesses maintained the same integrity and standards they would in other communities.
CAPCC led a movement to ensure that local businesses that manufactured products in the community had proper shelf placement in major grocery stores. Moreover, in the 1990’s and 2000’s CAPCC members advocated for local contractors to ensure that they were able to successfully bid and develop buildings for national retailers that wanted to establish their businesses within the Chatham community.